Mental Health is so Important.
This month we have been focused on health. We have highlighted exercises suitable for seniors, and foods that are proven to increase brain health, and today we are focusing on mental health. Mental health is so important and can affect nearly every aspect of your life. There are many ways to support your mental health, and below we’ve outlined a few. We encourage you to do something every day to support your mental health.
- Stay connected with friends and family: Make time to connect with friends and family, either through the phone, video chats, or in-person visits. Connecting with others can help seniors stay mentally active and can also provide emotional support.
- Exercise regularly: Regular physical activity can help boost mood, reduce stress, and improve concentration. If you are unable to get to the gym, there are plenty of at-home exercises you can do to stay active. Check out seven exercises for seniors here.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep helps improve mood, memory, and concentration. Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Eat a balanced diet: Eating a balanced diet can help improve physical and mental health. Eating nutrient-rich foods, such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains, can help seniors feel energized and focused. Check out 5 brain-boosting foods here.
- Ask for help when needed: It’s important for seniors to ask for help when needed. Whether it’s from friends, family, or a mental health professional, don’t be afraid to reach out for assistance to help manage mental health issues.
There is no shame in admitting your mental health isn’t right. There are many resources to support you, and you deserve to feel well.
If you or a senior loved one needs more care, we can arm you with resources to keep your loved one safe at home or look at senior living community options to compare. You are not alone. Give us a call. 941-499-0291.