VA Aid & Attendance (A&A) is a pension benefit that provides a monthly payment to veterans and their surviving spouses that need daily assistance at home or a senior community such as Assisted Living or Memory Care.
The current pension amounts are:
Single Veteran: $1,936
married vet needs care: $2,295
Surviving spouse NEEDS CARE: $1,244
Married Spouse needs care: $1,520
BOTH spouse & vet need care: $2,295
LETS SEE IF YOU’RE ELIGIBLE:
- 65 years and older
- The Veteran has served at least 1 day during a wartime period. (DD-214 or Separation Document required; NO COMBAT required)
World War II: December 7, 1941 — December 31, 194
Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950 — January 31, 1955
Vietnam Era: February 28, 1961 — May 7, 1975, for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 — May 7, 1975
- Must have served at least 90 consecutive days of active duty.
- Surviving spouse must have been married to Veteran at the time of the Veteran’s passing – and has not remarried.
- The Veteran and/or spouse needs assistance with at least 2 of the 6 activities of daily life (ADLs) that would require care and is confirmed by an Affidavit from a physician. (ADLs include: dressing; bathing; eating: getting food or drink from table to mouth; toileting; transferring: help getting in/out of bed or chair; ambulating: mobility assistance with wheelchair, walker, cane, etc.)
- The Veteran’s gross monthly income is equal or LESS than to the gross monthly cost of in-home care or cost of Senior Living Community. (Example: Veterans total monthly income $1,900 and the monthly cost for Assisted Living is $3,400)
- The Veteran’s TOTAL assets meet the income requirements. (currently this needs to be less than $130,000; assets do not include the home, personal belongings, vehicle or life insurance; NOTE: the Look Back Penalty for VA Planning is 36 months for transfers of assets for less than fair market value. If improper transfers have taken place, the VA will impose the 36 months Look Back Penalty as well as a 5 Year Look Back Penalty to become qualified for VA Aid & Attendance)
If you checked off ALL OF THE ABOVE, you’re likely to be eligible for Aid & Attendance! Reach out to us at Sunways Senior Living Concierge today so we can connect you with trusted VA resources to apply. In the process, we’ll also let you know your care options such as in-home Caregiver services and Senior Living Communities in your budget so you can make an informed decision. Go to our website to schedule a discovery call www.sunwaysseniorliving.com or call us at 941-867-0809.